Choosing a range can be a stressful, confusion decision. They are bulky, expensive products that are often used on a daily basis. What makes one stove model better than others? Buzzrake examined several thousands of opinions to find out what qualities are the most important to users. Here's the roundup:
- Cleanup: due to its sheer size, cleaning a stove can be a very unpleasant and time-consuming task. Users report that electric models are much easier to clean than their gas counterparts. A self-cleaning function makes the chore much easier, and is available in both gas and electric models.
- Cost-efficiency: the average price for a stove is about $1100, making it one of the most expensive kitchen appliances. It is no wonder that users want to know that they're getting their money's worth. Opinions show that the classic free-standing models with 4-burner cook-tops have the highest value, particularly the electric models. Convection ranges receive the lowest value ratings, as they add around $400 to the stove's total price.
- Appearance: looks are a major factor to stove owners - no matter where you choose to place them, they are very noticeable in the kitchen. According to users, electric models are more visually pleasing than gas ones. This especially applies to smooth-top models, which are the majority of electric ranges. Users also show a slight preference to slide-in ranges (compared to freestanding models), which have become increasingly popular over the years.
- Ease of use: different user-friendly features are mentioned in over 14% of opinions. Consumers like ranges that are easy to control and heat up quickly, which is usually the case in gas ranges.
- Durability: this refers to the stove's overall reliability, and its ability to last over time without failing or breaking. The brands with best scores for this factor are Whirlpool and Frigidaire, both of which receive great scores for other factors as well.